How to Enter United Kingdom

Do I need a passport or visa to enter?

While some countries impose minimum passport validity for arriving passengers, there is no such requirement for the United Kingdom. U.S. citizens seeking entry as tourists or visitors are required to present a valid passport. U.S. citizens traveling to the UK for purposes other than tourism should refer to the UK Border Agency website to verify if a visa or entry clearance certificate is required for entry. U.S. citizens traveling from the UK to other countries, or changing planes in the UK en route to onward destinations, should check the passport and visa requirements of any onward destinations prior to entering the UK. The UK Border Agency (UKBA) has a five-tier, point-based visa system that affects U.S. citizens coming to the United Kingdom as well as U.S. citizens and family members already in the country. You can find information on the point-based system on the UKBA website. You must be outside the United Kingdom, the Channel Islands, and the Isle of Man when you apply for a UK visa.

Companies and individuals intending to employ U.S. citizens, or other nationals from countries beyond the European Economic Area and Switzerland, are required to apply to the UKBA for a sponsorship license. Information on the sponsorship license can be found on the UKBA website.

Educational organizations must also apply for a sponsorship license from the UKBA. This includes U.S. educational institutions offering only short-term study abroad programs on their own premises in the United Kingdom to students who are enrolled in the United States but come to the United Kingdom for one or two semesters prior to returning home to finish their degrees. Information on the license for educational institutions also can be found on the UKBA website.

Students and prospective students who intend to stay longer than six months, and those coming for less than six months but who wish to work while studying, are required to obtain a student or prospective student visa before traveling to the United Kingdom. If you do not, you will be refused entry to the United Kingdom. You can find information on student visas on the UKBA website. Students may apply online.

Please note that charity workers, religious workers, and other temporary workers -- even those performing unpaid duties -- are required to obtain a visa prior to traveling to the United Kingdom. You can find information on temporary workers on the UKBA website.

It is your personal responsibility to ensure that you have the appropriate permission to enter the United Kingdom. We cannot intervene on your behalf when applying for a visa, nor can we obtain one for you at the airport. We cannot assist if you are denied entry into the United Kingdom and returned on a flight to the United States. The UKBA website will help you find out whether you need a visa to enter the United Kingdom.

Effective November 1, 2011, the UK Border Agency (UKBA) now requires any visitor or resident without recourse to public funds to clear any National Health Service (NHS) charges before being admitted back into the UK. The threshold for defaulters is £1,000 (approximately $1,600). Anyone who has not paid their outstanding NHS debts will be refused entry or the issuance of a visa until the charges are settled. Visit the UKBA website for more details. The U.S. Department of State is unaware of any HIV/AIDS entry restrictions for visitors to or foreign residents of the UK. Anyone who does not appear to be in good health may be required to undergo a medical exam (including an HIV test) prior to being granted or denied entry into the United Kingdom.

Special Travel Circumstances in United Kingdom

The legal drinking age (18 years old to purchase alcohol) in the United Kingdom is lower than in the United States, and social drinking in pubs (bars) is often seen as a routine aspect of British life. Parents, organizers of school trips, and young travelers should be aware of the impact that this environment may have when combined with the sense of adventure that comes with being abroad. Please see our Students Abroad website to help you plan a safe and enjoyable experience.

The United Kingdom has very strict gun-control laws, and importing firearms is extremely complicated. Travelers should consider leaving all firearms in the United States. There are restrictions on the type and number of weapons that an individual may possess. All handguns, such as pistols and revolvers, are prohibited, with very few exceptions. Police control the licensing of firearms in the United Kingdom. Applicants for a license must be prepared to show good reason why they require each weapon. Applicants must also provide a copy of their U.S. gun license, a letter of good conduct from their local U.S. police station, and a letter detailing any previous training, hunting, or shooting experience. Background checks will also be carried out. Additional information on applying for a firearm certificate and/or shotgun certificate can be found on the London Metropolitan Police Firearms licensing web page. For firearms certificates for Scotland, please check with Police Scotland, as Scotland has separate regulations. Licenses from England or Wales may not be valid in Scotland; please check with the appropriate authorities.


You are responsible for ensuring that you meet and comply with foreign entry requirements, health requirements and that you possess the appropriate travel documents. Information provided is subject to change without notice. One should confirm content prior to traveling from other reliable sources. Information published on this website may contain errors. You travel at your own risk and no warranties or guarantees are provided by us.

All Countries
Afghanistan Akrotiri Albania Algeria American Samoa Andorra Angola Anguilla Antarctica Antigua and Barbuda Argentina Armenia Aruba Australia Austria Azerbaijan Bahamas Bahrain Bangladesh Barbados Belarus Belgium Belize Benin Bermuda Bhutan Bolivia Bosnia and Herzegovina Botswana Brazil British Indian Ocean Territory British Virgin Islands Brunei Bulgaria Burkina Faso Burma Burundi Cabo Verde Cambodia Cameroon Canada Cayman Islands Central African Republic Chad Chile China Christmas Island Clipperton Island Cocos (Keeling) Islands Colombia Comoros Congo, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Republic of the Cook Islands Coral Sea Islands Costa Rica Cote d’Ivoire Croatia Cuba Curacao Cyprus Czech Republic Denmark Dhekelia Djibouti Dominica Dominican Republic Ecuador Egypt El Salvador Equatorial Guinea Eritrea Estonia Eswatini Ethiopia Falkland Islands Faroe Islands Fiji Finland France French Guiana French Polynesia Gabon Gambia, The Gaza Strip Georgia Germany Ghana Gibraltar Greece Greenland Grenada Guadeloupe Guam Guatemala Guernsey Guinea Guinea-Bissau Guyana Haiti Holy See Honduras Hong Kong Hungary Iceland India Indonesia Iran Iraq Ireland Isle of Man Israel Italy Jamaica Jan Mayen Japan Jersey Jordan Kazakhstan Kenya Kiribati Korea, North Korea, South Kosovo Kuwait Kyrgyzstan Laos Latvia Lebanon Lesotho Liberia Libya Liechtenstein Lithuania Luxembourg Macau Madagascar Malawi Malaysia Maldives Mali Malta Marshall Islands Martinique Mauritania Mauritius Mayotte Mexico Micronesia Moldova Monaco Mongolia Montenegro Montserrat Morocco Mozambique Namibia Nauru Nepal Netherlands New Caledonia New Zealand Nicaragua Niger Nigeria Niue Norfolk Island North Macedonia Northern Mariana Islands Norway Oman Pakistan Palau Panama Papua New Guinea Paraguay Peru Philippines Pitcairn Islands Poland Portugal Puerto Rico Qatar Reunion Romania Russia Rwanda Saint Helena, Ascension, and Tristan da Cunha Saint Kitts and Nevis Saint Lucia Saint Pierre and Miquelon Saint Vincent and the Grenadines Samoa San Marino Sao Tome and Principe Saudi Arabia Senegal Serbia Seychelles Sierra Leone Singapore Slovakia Slovenia Solomon Islands Somalia South Africa Spain Sri Lanka Sudan Sudan, South Suriname Svalbard Sweden Switzerland Syria Taiwan Tajikistan Tanzania Thailand Timor-Leste Togo Tokelau Tonga Trinidad and Tobago Tunisia Turkey Turkmenistan Turks and Caicos Islands Tuvalu Uganda Ukraine United Arab Emirates United Kingdom United States (US) Uruguay Uzbekistan Vanuatu Venezuela Vietnam Virgin Islands Wake Island Wallis and Futuna West Bank Western Sahara World Yemen Zambia Zimbabwe