Yam Neua (Thai Beef Salad)
1 1/2 pounds beef tenderloin at room temperature
1/4 cup fresh lime juice
1/4 cup fresh coriander--chopped
1 leaf lettuce head
2 tablespoons fresh mint -- chopped
2 tomatoes, thinly sliced
1 Jalapeno pepper -- minced
1 small red onion -- thinly sliced
3 garlic cloves -- crushed
1 small cucumber
2 tablespoons Nam Pla (fish sauce)
Fresh ground black pepper
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 lime -- thin wedges
1. Preheat oven to 500 degrees Fahrenheit. Set beef in small baking dish and roast for 20 minutes until rare. Let cool for 30 minutes, then refrigerate until cold, approximately 2 hours. Slice against grain into1/4 inch by 1/4 inch pieces.
2. In a large bowl, combine meat strips, coriander, mint, jalapeno and toss.
3. In a small bowl, combine garlic, nam pla, palm sugar, and lime juice - mix well. Pour this dressing over the meat and toss to coat.
4. Cover a large platter with lettuce leaves. Arrange the tomatoes around the outside, overlapping the slices, as necessary. Arrange cucumber slices inside the tomatoes, then the onion slices inside those.
5. Remove the meat from the dressing and mound in the center of the platter. Pour any dressing that remains over the meat. Cover with a damp towel and refrigerate until chilled, at least 1 hour and up to 4 hours.
6. Before serving, sprinkle with black pepper, and garnish with lime wedges.