How to Enter Serbia

Do I need a passport or visa to enter?

You need a valid passport to enter Serbia. U.S. citizens do not need visas to stay in Serbia for up to 90 days within 180 days. If you want to stay in Serbia longer than 90 days during any 180 days, you need to apply for a temporary residence permit at the local police station with authority over the place you are staying in Serbia. You cannot apply for a residence permit outside of Serbia. To apply for a temporary residence permit, you will need to provide a copy of your birth certificate, marriage certificate (if applicable) and an official police report from your state of residence in the United States or from law enforcement authorities in the country where you permanently live, if outside of the United States. You need to get the police report no more than 90 days before you apply for your residence permit. All of your documents should have an "apostille" stamp from the government office where you got the document. Please see the Notarial and Authentication Services page to learn more about apostilles and other official documents.

Visit the Embassy of Serbia website for the most current visa information. If you have specific questions about visas, residency or work permits, please contact the Serbian Embassy in Washington, D.C. by phone at (202) 332-0333; e-mail:; fax (202) 332-3933;or in person or by mail at 2134 Kalorama Road, Washington, D.C. 20008. Serbia also has Consulates General in Chicago and New York City; both give out information on travel and long term stays in Serbia. You can reach the Serbian Consulate General in Chicago at (312) 670-6707 or fax (312) 670-6787; email; or in person or by mail at 201 East Ohio Street, Suite 200, Chicago, Illinois 60611. You can reach the Serbian Consulate General in New York City at (212) 596-4241; fax (212) 596-4363;email;; 62 West 45th Street, 7th Floor, New York, NY 10036.

When you arrive in Serbia, the immigration police should stamp your passport. Please make sure to get an entry stamp when you enter Serbia, and do not lose it; it is proof that you entered Serbia legally and starts the clock on the 90 days you can stay in Serbia legally without a visa. If you get a new passport while you are in Serbia, you should keep the previous passport containing the entry stamp to prove that you are in the country legally. If you lose your stamped passport, you must obtain an exit visa from the Ministry of Interior before the Serbian authorities will permit you leave the country.

If possible, it is advisable to enter and depart Serbia using the same travel document. If you use different passports or other identification to enter and exit Serbia (for example, entering with a Serbia passport or Serbian "National ID Card," then trying to exit with a U.S. passport) the immigration police might not know that you entered legally and may hold you for questioning.

Serbian immigration police do not recognize the authority of Kosovo’s government, borders, or immigration officers.Travelers coming to Serbia by land through Kosovo have had problems with Serbian border authorities at checkpoints on the borders between Kosovo and Serbia. Serbian immigration police have refused to accept travelers’ Kosovo entry stamps, claiming that the travelers were in Serbian territory illegally, and refusing to allow them to travel any farther into Serbia. If you are planning to travel by land to Serbia, you can avoid this situation by entering the country through a border crossing with a country other than Kosovo.

Special Travel Circumstances in Serbia

People who are citizens of both the United States and Serbia may be affected by certain laws that put special responsibilities on Serbian citizens. The Serbian Parliament recently annulled the requirement for men between 18 and 27 years of age to perform military service. Men who evaded military service in the past will not be prosecuted. Please contact the citizenship unit of the U.S. Embassy in Belgrade if you have specific questions about the rights and responsibilities of dual nationals (citizens of both the U.S. and Serbia). For additional general information, see our Citizenship and Nationality information.

Belgrade is a port of call on Danube River cruises. While many cruise lines advertise that they have agents at each port, our experience is that U.S. citizen passengers who fall ill or encounter hardship are often left on their own by the companies.

Regulations on Bringing Money into Serbia: If you bring more than 10,000 Euros in cash (or an equal amount in other currencies) to Serbia, you will have to declare it when you arrive. When you declare large sums of money, Serbian customs will give you a declaration that you will have to show them again when you depart the country. Serbian customs agents can take your money permanently or charge you heavy fines if you do not follow the customs regulations. Please review our Customs Information for additional details.

Registration with Local Authorities: If you are staying in a private home, you must register with the local police station with authority over the area where you are staying within 24 hours of arriving in Serbia. If you do not register, you may be subject to fines, jail, or deportation. If you do not register you may also have difficulty with the airport police when you try to leave the country. If you are staying in a hotel or other public place such as a hostel, motel, or private campground, it is customary for property management to register you with the police. You can learn more about registering with local authorities on the Government of Serbia website.


You are responsible for ensuring that you meet and comply with foreign entry requirements, health requirements and that you possess the appropriate travel documents. Information provided is subject to change without notice. One should confirm content prior to traveling from other reliable sources. Information published on this website may contain errors. You travel at your own risk and no warranties or guarantees are provided by us.

All Countries
Afghanistan Akrotiri Albania Algeria American Samoa Andorra Angola Anguilla Antarctica Antigua and Barbuda Argentina Armenia Aruba Australia Austria Azerbaijan Bahamas Bahrain Bangladesh Barbados Belarus Belgium Belize Benin Bermuda Bhutan Bolivia Bosnia and Herzegovina Botswana Brazil British Indian Ocean Territory British Virgin Islands Brunei Bulgaria Burkina Faso Burma Burundi Cabo Verde Cambodia Cameroon Canada Cayman Islands Central African Republic Chad Chile China Christmas Island Clipperton Island Cocos (Keeling) Islands Colombia Comoros Congo, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Republic of the Cook Islands Coral Sea Islands Costa Rica Cote d’Ivoire Croatia Cuba Curacao Cyprus Czech Republic Denmark Dhekelia Djibouti Dominica Dominican Republic Ecuador Egypt El Salvador Equatorial Guinea Eritrea Estonia Eswatini Ethiopia Falkland Islands Faroe Islands Fiji Finland France French Guiana French Polynesia Gabon Gambia, The Gaza Strip Georgia Germany Ghana Gibraltar Greece Greenland Grenada Guadeloupe Guam Guatemala Guernsey Guinea Guinea-Bissau Guyana Haiti Holy See Honduras Hong Kong Hungary Iceland India Indonesia Iran Iraq Ireland Isle of Man Israel Italy Jamaica Jan Mayen Japan Jersey Jordan Kazakhstan Kenya Kiribati Korea, North Korea, South Kosovo Kuwait Kyrgyzstan Laos Latvia Lebanon Lesotho Liberia Libya Liechtenstein Lithuania Luxembourg Macau Madagascar Malawi Malaysia Maldives Mali Malta Marshall Islands Martinique Mauritania Mauritius Mayotte Mexico Micronesia Moldova Monaco Mongolia Montenegro Montserrat Morocco Mozambique Namibia Nauru Nepal Netherlands New Caledonia New Zealand Nicaragua Niger Nigeria Niue Norfolk Island North Macedonia Northern Mariana Islands Norway Oman Pakistan Palau Panama Papua New Guinea Paraguay Peru Philippines Pitcairn Islands Poland Portugal Puerto Rico Qatar Reunion Romania Russia Rwanda Saint Helena, Ascension, and Tristan da Cunha Saint Kitts and Nevis Saint Lucia Saint Pierre and Miquelon Saint Vincent and the Grenadines Samoa San Marino Sao Tome and Principe Saudi Arabia Senegal Serbia Seychelles Sierra Leone Singapore Slovakia Slovenia Solomon Islands Somalia South Africa Spain Sri Lanka Sudan Sudan, South Suriname Svalbard Sweden Switzerland Syria Taiwan Tajikistan Tanzania Thailand Timor-Leste Togo Tokelau Tonga Trinidad and Tobago Tunisia Turkey Turkmenistan Turks and Caicos Islands Tuvalu Uganda Ukraine United Arab Emirates United Kingdom United States (US) Uruguay Uzbekistan Vanuatu Venezuela Vietnam Virgin Islands Wake Island Wallis and Futuna West Bank Western Sahara World Yemen Zambia Zimbabwe