How to Enter Estonia

Do I need a passport or visa to enter?

Estoniais a party to the Schengen Agreement. This means that U.S. citizens may enter Estonia for up to 90 days within a six-month period for tourist or business purposes without a visa. Your passport should be valid for at least three months beyond the period of stay. You need to prove that you have sufficient funds and a return airline ticket. For additional details about travel into and within Schengen countries, please see our Schengen Fact Sheet. Your passport will be stamped, and the 90 days will begin, at your first stop in the Schengen Zone. The period of stay does not end until you completely depart the Schengen Zone, at which point your passport will again be stamped. Most countries in Western and Central Europe, including most of Estonia’s neighboring countries (e.g., Lithuania, Latvia, Finland, Sweden, etc.) are members of the Schengen Zone. Accordingly, there is no mandatory immigration control when you travel between Estonia and these countries, and the 90-day period you are allowed to stay continues to run, even if you leave Estonia. You should always have your passport with you, however, as each country has the right to conduct passport checks. Other countries in the region, such as Russia and Ukraine, are not parties to the Schengen Agreement, so there is mandatory immigration control for persons entering or exiting Estonia by land or air to/from those countries.

If you would like to stay in Estonia (alone or in conjunction with your stay in the other countries in the Schengen Zone) longer than 90 days within a six-month period, you can apply for a longer-term visa from the Consulate General of Estonia in New York (telephone 212-883-0636) before you begin your trip. You can find more information about visiting Estonia, including a list of all Estonian embassies and consulates worldwide, on the website of the Estonian Ministry of Foreign Affairs. Residency permits, visa extensions, and other rules applicable to foreigners visiting Estonia (such as students, temporary workers, etc.) are processed by the Estonian Citizenship and Migration Bureau, part of the Estonian Police & Border Guard Board. You can find information on residency permits by visiting the Police & Border Guard’s website and clicking on “Services.” You can also obtain additional information about Estonia from the Embassy of Estonia in Washington, DC (telephone 202-588-0101).

Special Travel Circumstances in Estonia

As of 2011, Estonia replaced its currency, the kroon, with the euro. Currently, only euros are accepted, although persons holding cash kroons can continue exchanging them for euros at the official rate for an indefinite period at the Bank of Estonia (Eesti Pank) in Tallinn and at selected bank branches elsewhere in Estonia. You can also get local currency from ATMs using your U.S. debit card. Please note that some ATMs will function only if your ATM card has a computer chip. You can use a regular U.S. credit card for payment in most shops and restaurants in Estonia. If you plan to exchange U.S. cash for euros while visiting Estonia, you should be aware that many banks and currency exchanges do not accept old U.S. bills. Accordingly, please try to bring newer bills, preferably those issued after 2000.

DUAL NATIONALITY: Although Estonian law generally does not permit dual nationality, Estonian law does provide that a person who has the right to Estonian citizenship from birth cannot have his/her citizenship taken away. Accordingly, a number of individuals who have claims to Estonian citizenship from birth (generally ethnic Estonians) carry both Estonian and U.S. passports (such as Estonians who move to the United States and naturalize as U.S. citizens, and their children). If you are not ethnic Estonian, but wish to naturalize as an Estonian citizen, the Estonians could ask you to renounce your U.S. citizenship. You are strongly advised to contact us and discuss your case with a consul if you are considering becoming an Estonian citizen (or renouncing your U.S. citizenship for any other purpose). You should note that getting an Estonian residency permit (an “elamisluba”) would have no effect on your U.S. citizenship. If you are a dual U.S.-Estonian citizen who carries both U.S. and Estonian passports, you should be aware that you must show your U.S. passport when entering the United States. U.S. citizens cannot enter the United States under the Visa Waiver Program using an Estonian passport.


You are responsible for ensuring that you meet and comply with foreign entry requirements, health requirements and that you possess the appropriate travel documents. Information provided is subject to change without notice. One should confirm content prior to traveling from other reliable sources. Information published on this website may contain errors. You travel at your own risk and no warranties or guarantees are provided by us.

All Countries
Afghanistan Akrotiri Albania Algeria American Samoa Andorra Angola Anguilla Antarctica Antigua and Barbuda Argentina Armenia Aruba Australia Austria Azerbaijan Bahamas Bahrain Bangladesh Barbados Belarus Belgium Belize Benin Bermuda Bhutan Bolivia Bosnia and Herzegovina Botswana Brazil British Indian Ocean Territory British Virgin Islands Brunei Bulgaria Burkina Faso Burma Burundi Cabo Verde Cambodia Cameroon Canada Cayman Islands Central African Republic Chad Chile China Christmas Island Clipperton Island Cocos (Keeling) Islands Colombia Comoros Congo, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Republic of the Cook Islands Coral Sea Islands Costa Rica Cote d’Ivoire Croatia Cuba Curacao Cyprus Czech Republic Denmark Dhekelia Djibouti Dominica Dominican Republic Ecuador Egypt El Salvador Equatorial Guinea Eritrea Estonia Eswatini Ethiopia Falkland Islands Faroe Islands Fiji Finland France French Guiana French Polynesia Gabon Gambia, The Gaza Strip Georgia Germany Ghana Gibraltar Greece Greenland Grenada Guadeloupe Guam Guatemala Guernsey Guinea Guinea-Bissau Guyana Haiti Holy See Honduras Hong Kong Hungary Iceland India Indonesia Iran Iraq Ireland Isle of Man Israel Italy Jamaica Jan Mayen Japan Jersey Jordan Kazakhstan Kenya Kiribati Korea, North Korea, South Kosovo Kuwait Kyrgyzstan Laos Latvia Lebanon Lesotho Liberia Libya Liechtenstein Lithuania Luxembourg Macau Madagascar Malawi Malaysia Maldives Mali Malta Marshall Islands Martinique Mauritania Mauritius Mayotte Mexico Micronesia Moldova Monaco Mongolia Montenegro Montserrat Morocco Mozambique Namibia Nauru Nepal Netherlands New Caledonia New Zealand Nicaragua Niger Nigeria Niue Norfolk Island North Macedonia Northern Mariana Islands Norway Oman Pakistan Palau Panama Papua New Guinea Paraguay Peru Philippines Pitcairn Islands Poland Portugal Puerto Rico Qatar Reunion Romania Russia Rwanda Saint Helena, Ascension, and Tristan da Cunha Saint Kitts and Nevis Saint Lucia Saint Pierre and Miquelon Saint Vincent and the Grenadines Samoa San Marino Sao Tome and Principe Saudi Arabia Senegal Serbia Seychelles Sierra Leone Singapore Slovakia Slovenia Solomon Islands Somalia South Africa Spain Sri Lanka Sudan Sudan, South Suriname Svalbard Sweden Switzerland Syria Taiwan Tajikistan Tanzania Thailand Timor-Leste Togo Tokelau Tonga Trinidad and Tobago Tunisia Turkey Turkmenistan Turks and Caicos Islands Tuvalu Uganda Ukraine United Arab Emirates United Kingdom United States (US) Uruguay Uzbekistan Vanuatu Venezuela Vietnam Virgin Islands Wake Island Wallis and Futuna West Bank Western Sahara World Yemen Zambia Zimbabwe