How to Enter Bolivia

Do I need a passport or visa to enter?

To enter and depart Bolivia, you are required to have a U.S. passport valid for at least six months from the date of your proposed entry into Bolivia.

U.S. citizens visiting Bolivia as tourists must obtain an entry visa. You can apply for a Bolivian tourist visa at Bolivian ports of entry, such as at Bolivia’s international airports and at land border crossings, as well as by mail or in person at Bolivian consulates in the United States. You should allow plenty of time for processing if you plan to apply at a Bolivian consulate. Bolivian tourist visas are valid for five years from the date of issuance and allow the bearer to enter the country three times in a year for a cumulative stay of not more than ninety days. The tourist visa currently costs $135.00. USD You can pay the fee in cash, by deposit to the Bolivian consulate’s bank account, or by money order. If you choose to apply for your visa upon your arrival in Bolivia, you must pay the $135.00 in cash to immigration authorities.

In addition to the $135.00 visa fee, you must present a visa application form with a 4cm x 4cm color photograph, a passport with a validity of not less than 6 months, evidence of a hotel reservation, or a letter of invitation in Spanish, proof of economic solvency (credit card, cash, or a current bank statement), and an International Vaccination Certificate for yellow fever.

Arrival by Land: Some tourists arriving by land report that immigration officials did not place entry stamps in their passports, which causes problems at checkpoints and upon departure. Make sure you get entry and exit stamps from the Bolivian authorities every time you enter or leave Bolivia.

Lost/Stolen Passports: If your U.S. passport is lost or stolen while you’re in Bolivia, you must obtain a replacement passport and present it, together with reports of the loss or theft from the Tourist Police and/or Interpol, to a Bolivian government immigration office in order to obtain a replacement visa at a cost of $80.00. For more information on replacement passport procedures, please consult the U.S. Embassy’s website.

Exit Tax: The Bolivian government charges an exit tax for air departures from the country. If you have Bolivian citizenship or residency, the Bolivian government requires an additional fee upon departure. While the Bolivian government does not currently require travelers to purchase round-trip air tickets in order to enter the country, some airlines have required travelers to purchase round-trip tickets prior to boarding aircraft bound for Bolivia.

Additional Requirements for Minors: In an effort to prevent international child abduction, the Bolivian government has initiated procedures at entry/exit points. Minors (under 18) who are citizens or residents of Bolivia and who are traveling alone, with one parent, or with a third party must obtain a travel permit from the Juzgado del Menor. In order to obtain this permit, the parent or guardian must present a copy of the minor's birth certificate, parents' identification, and written authorization from the absent parent(s) or legal guardian, specifically granting permission to travel alone, with one parent, or with a third party. When a parent is deceased, Bolivian authorities require a notarized copy of the death certificate in lieu of written authorization. If the documents are prepared in the United States, you must have them translated into Spanish, notarized, and authenticated by the Bolivian Embassy or a Bolivian consulate within the United States. If documents are prepared in Bolivia, only notarization by a Bolivian notary is required. This requirement does not apply to children who enter the country with a U.S. passport as tourists unless they hold dual U.S./Bolivian citizenship or have been in Bolivia for less than 90 consecutive days.

Upon departure, U.S./Bolivian citizen minors traveling alone, with one parent, or with a third party, who have been in Bolivia for ninety (90) days or longer, will be required to present a travel authorization issued by the Juzgado del Menor, a copy of the minor's birth certificate and a copy of parents' identifications to immigration at the airport or land border. These travel authorizations are only valid for 90 days after they are issued and notarized, and a minor may not be allowed to leave the country if their authorization has expired. The new visa requirement states that unaccompanied minors to Bolivia must present an official Parental Authorization and Consent Certificate duly provided by the appropriate authorities. Until the Bolivian government provides further specifics on this document, the Embassy recommends that all unaccompanied minors to Bolivia carry a letter of permission from their parents or legal guardians authorizing travel.

Extended Stays: For more information on in-country visa procedures and requirements, please consult the Bolivian Immigration Service at Avenida Camacho between Calle Loayza and Calle Bueno, La Paz, Bolivia; fax/telephone (591-2) 211-0960. Note: If you submit your U.S. passport to Bolivian authorities for visa purposes, you may be able to retrieve it in an emergency. However, under current regulations, you would then need to submit and pay for a new application.

Please visit the Embassy of Bolivia website for the most current visa information. Bolivian consulates in the United States are located in San Juan, Los Angeles, Miami, Minneapolis, New York City, and Washington, D.C.

There are limited flights within Bolivia and to neighboring countries. Flight delays and cancellations are common. You should keep this information in mind when making your travel plans.

The U.S. Department of State is unaware of any HIV/AIDS entry restrictions for visitors to, or foreign residents of, Bolivia.

Special Travel Circumstances in Bolivia

Visitors should be careful when choosing a tour operator and should not accept any type of medication or drugs from unreliable sources.

Authentication of Documents: Any U.S. documents, such as birth, marriage, divorce, or death certificates that are to be used in Bolivia must first be authenticated in the U.S. at the nearest Bolivian Embassy or consulate. For information on those procedures, please consult the Department of State Office of Authentications and the nearest Bolivian Embassy or consulate.

Marriage: Please see our information on getting married in Bolivia, available on the Embassy’s website.

Mountain Trekking and Climbing Safety: The Embassy urges you to exercise extreme care when trekking or climbing in Bolivia. U.S. citizens have died in falls while mountain climbing in Bolivia. Three of the deaths occurred on Illimani, a 21,033-foot peak located southeast of La Paz. Many popular trekking routes in the Bolivian Andes cross passes as high as 16,000 feet. Trekkers must have adequate clothing and equipment, not always available locally, and should be experienced mountain travelers.

It is not prudent to trek alone. Solo trekking is the most significant factor contributing to injuries and robberies. The safest option is to join an organized group and/or use a reputable firm to provide an experienced guide and porter who can communicate in both Spanish and English. If you develop any of the following symptoms while climbing at altitude – severe headache, weakness, vomiting, shortness of breath at rest, cough, chest tightness, unsteadiness – descend to a lower altitude immediately. Trekkers and climbers should purchase adequate insurance to cover expenses in case of injury or death.


You are responsible for ensuring that you meet and comply with foreign entry requirements, and health requirements and that you possess the appropriate travel documents. Information provided is subject to change without notice. One should confirm content prior to traveling from other reliable sources. Information published on this website may contain errors. You travel at your own risk and no warranties or guarantees are provided by us.

All Countries
Afghanistan Akrotiri Albania Algeria American Samoa Andorra Angola Anguilla Antarctica Antigua and Barbuda Argentina Armenia Aruba Australia Austria Azerbaijan Bahamas Bahrain Bangladesh Barbados Belarus Belgium Belize Benin Bermuda Bhutan Bolivia Bosnia and Herzegovina Botswana Brazil British Indian Ocean Territory British Virgin Islands Brunei Bulgaria Burkina Faso Burma Burundi Cabo Verde Cambodia Cameroon Canada Cayman Islands Central African Republic Chad Chile China Christmas Island Clipperton Island Cocos (Keeling) Islands Colombia Comoros Congo, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Republic of the Cook Islands Coral Sea Islands Costa Rica Cote d’Ivoire Croatia Cuba Curacao Cyprus Czech Republic Denmark Dhekelia Djibouti Dominica Dominican Republic Ecuador Egypt El Salvador Equatorial Guinea Eritrea Estonia Eswatini Ethiopia Falkland Islands Faroe Islands Fiji Finland France French Guiana French Polynesia Gabon Gambia, The Gaza Strip Georgia Germany Ghana Gibraltar Greece Greenland Grenada Guadeloupe Guam Guatemala Guernsey Guinea Guinea-Bissau Guyana Haiti Holy See Honduras Hong Kong Hungary Iceland India Indonesia Iran Iraq Ireland Isle of Man Israel Italy Jamaica Jan Mayen Japan Jersey Jordan Kazakhstan Kenya Kiribati Korea, North Korea, South Kosovo Kuwait Kyrgyzstan Laos Latvia Lebanon Lesotho Liberia Libya Liechtenstein Lithuania Luxembourg Macau Madagascar Malawi Malaysia Maldives Mali Malta Marshall Islands Martinique Mauritania Mauritius Mayotte Mexico Micronesia Moldova Monaco Mongolia Montenegro Montserrat Morocco Mozambique Namibia Nauru Nepal Netherlands New Caledonia New Zealand Nicaragua Niger Nigeria Niue Norfolk Island North Macedonia Northern Mariana Islands Norway Oman Pakistan Palau Panama Papua New Guinea Paraguay Peru Philippines Pitcairn Islands Poland Portugal Puerto Rico Qatar Reunion Romania Russia Rwanda Saint Helena, Ascension, and Tristan da Cunha Saint Kitts and Nevis Saint Lucia Saint Pierre and Miquelon Saint Vincent and the Grenadines Samoa San Marino Sao Tome and Principe Saudi Arabia Senegal Serbia Seychelles Sierra Leone Singapore Slovakia Slovenia Solomon Islands Somalia South Africa Spain Sri Lanka Sudan Sudan, South Suriname Svalbard Sweden Switzerland Syria Taiwan Tajikistan Tanzania Thailand Timor-Leste Togo Tokelau Tonga Trinidad and Tobago Tunisia Turkey Turkmenistan Turks and Caicos Islands Tuvalu Uganda Ukraine United Arab Emirates United Kingdom United States (US) Uruguay Uzbekistan Vanuatu Venezuela Vietnam Virgin Islands Wake Island Wallis and Futuna West Bank Western Sahara World Yemen Zambia Zimbabwe