Bachkovo Monastery was built in 1083 by Grigor| Bakuriani, who was in the military in the Byzantine Empire, a Georgian by origin. From that time there is the Ossuary with its exquisite architecture and wall-paintings. The winter church of the Archangels dates in all likelihood to the l2th century. After 1344 tsar (king) Ivan Alexander (1331-1371) raised several new buildings. In the early l6th century the monastery was destroyed by the Turkish conquerors to be restored in the late l6th century. Of great interest are the monastery refectory (1601 ), the big domed kitchen the church of the Assumption (1604) with murals dating from 1643 and the domed church of St Nicholas (1837), decorated in 1840 by the Revival Period painter Zahari Zograph.